Boys Varsity Baseball
Here’s the information for tryouts.
- Dates and times:
- Tryouts will begin at 10am on Monday, February 19th. All players across all classes will report to the field for a workout that will run until approximately 1pm. Plan is to do a lot of rotations with fielding, baserunning, hitting, etc. No pitchers throwing this day.
- Tuesday: Juniors and Seniors (there may be select sophomores invited as well) report at 3:30. Freshmen and sophomores report at 5:30. These will be live at bats with pitchers facing hitters. Two hours for each group.
- Wednesday: Repeat of the same schedule from Tuesday.
- Thursday: Same schedule again, team selection will most likely take place after these workouts
- Friday: IF NEEDED, we may add a day to tryouts and make our team selection that day. But for right now, plan on the team being picked on Thursday, the 22nd.
- Weather impact, that schedule may change if certain days are projected to be better weather days than other. For example, last year we started the live at bats the first day because that day was much better in terms of the weather.
- Players should bring all their gear, each day. This includes sneakers to be worn indoors if necessary. Players can leave their gear in my trailer (Trailer 15) if they need a space. I will lock my trailer each night so they don’t have to bring it all home and back each day.
- Dress warm, it will take exceptionally frigid temps or a very wet field for us to be inside. Unlike Green Days, we push the envelope more during the season. If we can get outside, we will.
- Players will be evaluated at primary and secondary positions, and pitchers will be throwing live to hitters. We will be rating, arm strength, glove (defensive ability at different spots), catching ability (for those that play behind the plate), hitting power and consistency, foot speed, and pitching ability (for those that pitch).
- Remember, you have to have your VHSL physical form turned in to Mrs. Ayoub in the Activities office, your concussion education completed, and an emergency care card turned into Activities as well. All the links for these can be found at www.langleysports.org . The main menu has a tab “Mandatory Concussion Program” for the concussion requirement. And the tab “More” will lead you to “Files and Links” to the other forms.
- A note on team selection. We are looking to fill gaps in our program and looking for the best mix of players to help us compete. That target moves from year to year. The day we pick the team, we meet individually with each player trying out (Varsity staff with varsity players tryout out and JV staff with JV players). We let them know the result of their tryout and answer any questions they may have. I understand that not making the team can be emotional and frustrating, I would ask that if parents want to reach out, please give it the weekend before reaching out to us. This allows the emotions to cool a bit and we can have a cordial, productive conversation. Happy to do that.
- If you have any other questions prior to tryouts, just let me know.